These are one of my all-time favorite cookies even though they contain no chocolate. We used to make them at the bakery I worked at in high school but I had never had them before that. Making these cookies brings back wonderful memories of working at the bakery with amazing women. I had the best job in high school! These are soft cake-like cookies that I adapted a bit to make these whoopie pies last year. Every year I get excited for fall, I love the change of seasons and I love these cookies. So bake some up and have 1 or 2 or maybe 3 😉 These would make a great addition to any cookie platter or Thanksgiving dessert table.
Soft Pumpkin Cookies
Ingredients for cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Ingredients for Frosting
1 cup confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
4 Tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cream the sugar and shortening for about 1 minute.
3. Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla, mix until combined.
4. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix until combined.
5. Drop cookies on cookie sheet using a tablespoon, cookie scoop or other desired method (cookies do not spread much).
6. Bake cookies for 15 minutes or until bottoms are starting to brown – do not over bake.
7. While cookies are baking mix all the ingredients for the frosting in a bowl.
8. When the cookies are done, remove from the oven and let them sit on the tray for 1-2 minutes, move to a wire rack. Frost cookies while warm.
Source: Baker’s Peak Bakery