Third and last side dish recipe before Thanksgiving. If you are still looking for a side dish to make for Thanksgiving here is a twist to sweet potatoes inspired by sweet potato pie. This is another fairly quick and easy recipe. We really like sweet potatoes but tend to only eat them around the holidays in sweet potato souffle (YUM!) I have been trying new ways to prepare sweet potatoes, again trying to add more vegetables to our menus. Any sides you choose I am sure you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving (see below for more sides here on Hoosier Baker). Enjoy your time in the kitchen and at the table with your family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving!
Makes about 6 – 1/2 cup servings
2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (can substitute with store-bought ground nutmeg)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used vanilla salt but you can use plain salt)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons orange juice (we had orange juice with pineapple which was very good)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
Directions for Sweet Potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Spread potatoes on a baking sheet (11×15) with sides.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients for the potatoes (dark brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt), pour over potatoes, tossing to coat.
4. Spread potatoes back into a single layer on the pan and roast for 20 minutes.
5. Remove potatoes from the oven, stir and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and top with glaze (see recipe below)
Directions for Glaze
1. Mix ingredients for glaze in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring continuously until sauce thickens to a syrup consistency (about 10 minutes).
3. Pour over potatoes and serve.
Source: Lindsay Lou Original
Other Sides on Hoosier Baker:
Roasted Sesame Green Beans (you could always switch out the sesame oil for olive oil and omit sesame seeds if sesame doesn’t go with your menu).
Tomato Cucumber Salad
Roasted Carrots with Honey and Cumin
Cinnamon Applesauce (add a dash of nutmeg for something special)