This stew is a hearty meal and a popular recipe in our house. I like to serve it with sour cream or plain yogurt and a little cheese. Sometimes I add avocado slices, guacamole, or salsa to the top and serve it with tortillas or tortilla chips. I like this dish a lot because it freezes well so it is a nice emergency meal for us (you know, the late nights you come home from work and don’t feel like cooking). I would highly encourage you to make your own taco seasoning (recipe included) as it is simple and you probably have the ingredients on hand.
Chicken Taco Stew:
1 onion, chopped
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 ears of corn, rinsed and cut off the cob OR 1 can corn, drained
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (no salt added)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes with chilies
4-5 sweet peppers (smaller than bell peppers), chopped (if you can’t find sweet peppers use 2-3 bell peppers (any color).
1 1.25 oz packet of taco seasoning or see below for quick recipe
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
(makes about 1 package of taco seasoning)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Mix all ingredients for the taco seasoning together in a small bowl.
2. Mix all ingredients for the taco stew (except the chicken) in the slow cooker (this does include the taco seasoning).
3. Lay chicken on top of the ingredients.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4. (I cook for 6 hours on low. Cooking time will depend on your slow cooker so you should check frequently after 6 hours if cooking on low or after 3 hours if cooking on high – it is done when the chicken shreds easily).
5. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir.