Once you make homemade tortillas you will never buy them again. I was amazed at how easy homemade tortillas were to make. Definitely a great recipe to make with kids.
2 cups all purpose flour (can also use whole wheat*)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons lard or solid vegetable shortening
2/3 cup water *if using whole wheat flour at 1 Tablespoon warm water
1. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
2. Rub in the lard or shortening (I use the back of a spoon until it is mostly mixed then I rub it in my hands until it resembles crumbles).
3. Stir in the water
4. Knead lightly until dough is soft
5. Place dough back in bowl, cover with plastic and let rest at least 15 minutes
6. Divide dough into 12 equal portions, roll out tortillas using a rolling pin to 6-7 inch round tortillas (if your dough sticks to the surface you can lightly flour the surface with all purpose flour). Tip: to get round tortilla’s, I roll the dough once then turn the tortilla 180 degrees then roll again, and repeat. Keep tortillas covered until done cooking
7. Heat heavy pan or griddle
8. Cook tortillas about 1 minute on each side, you don’t want them to get to dark or they will be crispy.
9. When tortillas are done cover them in a towel to keep moist (I use clean hand towel).
Tortillas will keep a few days – when cooled, wrap in foil. Do not refrigerate.
Source: Adapted from Bread: The breads of the world and how to bake them at home by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter.